My first guest post is from coach (and friend!), Shannah Kennedy of Shannah Kennedy Coaching. Shannah shares her tips on how to enjoy the festive season without burning out…
I hear all the time that people are stressed at the moment, burnt out, tired, emotional, over it all, when it is supposed to be a time of celebration and joy. I am determined to make it great and here are some of my tips that I apply each year at this time, so I can enjoy the festive season.
- I use my diary to seriously write everything down
- I keep it simple and don’t overcomplicate anything
- I say no to roughly 30% of people who say we must catch up before Christmas – as there is January you know!
- I book in some nice catch ups in January now, so I don’t feel like I am being a Grinch
- I book a massage for the week before Christmas
- I book a date night with my husband in December to just sit and have a peaceful dinner with him
- I commit to being organised every night for the next day – anything to limit feeling out of control
- My biggest tip is to just be in the moment, no matter how busy we are. Breathe. Breathe, Breathe.
This year, for the whole year, I have committed fully to number 8. I have had a massive year, a great year, lots of challenges and rewards, however I have really committed to living mindfully and this has changed my life. I smell things, (you know that crazy soap you bought that cost you maybe way too much), I actually take a moment to make the lather and smell it, rather than blindly just use it. I taste my cup of tea, I breathe giant breaths that make me feel in control. I committed to doing the basics, but doing them well. Eating well (80% of the time), sleeping properly and drinking a lot of water. Not thinking about it but actually doing it. If we do the basics, and do them well and consistently, life is great.
So for the festive season:
- Maybe don’t be the last to leave a function
- Maybe don’t taste test everything, but just a few things as then you won’t feel shocking when you get home from over-eating
- When you go to the toilet – take a 2 minute holiday – just sit there – why rush? And take a few deep breaths and get yourself in control
- Slow your speech down a little, and you will feel in control
Merry, breathe, Xmas.
Shannah released a book this year Simplify, Structure, Succeed. You can buy the book here. It would make a great Christmas pressie.